Inexpensive &Environmentally friendly source for coop building suppies

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Hi my fowl friends,

I'm most of the way through building my 4'X8' chicken coup and starting my 86 ft2 chicken run. So far, all I've purchased from a hardware store or lumber yard are the 2"X4"s and chicken wire.

I'm using a lot of left-over lumber, siding, etc. from a major house addition two years ago, the building of my mom & step-dad's new house six years ago and a tree house we built the kids almost 10 years ago. Part of this is because I'm cheap, but mostly because I'm raising chickens as a way to eat more ethically, and it makes sense to re-use and re-purpose.

Along those lines, I'd like to share with you a neat and cheap source for building supplies that may be in your area. It's called "The RE-Store" and it is the thrift shop (sort of like Salvation Army or Goodwill) for Habitat for Humanity. Builders donate their leftover building supplies like flooring, paint etc. and folks remodeling drop off their old cabinets, doors, windows, bathroom vanities etc. If you are the creative type and could see turning an old kitchen cabinet into a laying box or just need a scrap piece of linoleum for the floor of your coop the RE-Store may be just the thing.

I like thinking that I'm keeping stuff out of landfills, supporting a good cause and getting cheap materials. I hope this doesn't constitute an advertisement.

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    We have one by us that I plan to check out. I also contacted the local college recycle program to see if they can hook me up with free supplies.

3. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    do you know if there is a listing of such stores so we could see if there is one near us?

4. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Here's a link to there site to locate stores- http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore.aspx

There
    is not a VT location listed on there, but there is a ReStore in Burlington, VT too. Where Recycle North used to be, both for home goods and building materials (I think it's called ReBuild).

I bought some stuff at ReBuild, and got a lot from Craigslist or free or very little. I also watched the reuse zone at our dump and collected scraps from other projects. I have little $ for my project so I have to be resourceful. It's wonderful that it's also conserving resources.

5. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    THANKS! There's lots of them by me, both where I am now and where I am moving!

6. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    We have a Re-Store here, too. For those of you in or near Dayton, Ohio, know that the St. Vincent De Paul store near the dowtown area sells donated lumber. (1133 Edwin C. Moses Blvd.)

7. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm actually on the same mind set! We found an antique ol' stereo cabinet on craig's list. I'm trying to pride the building of my coop of all used materials. I'm trying not to spend money. Wish me luck!

8. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:Much luck indeed from me. I'm really proud of my coop. It may have been a bit prettier if I'd sprung for new materials, but there is something satisfying for me in using up stuff I've been saving "in case", rather than throwing it in a dumpster somewhere. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

9. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    Same here!

I have some friends that are currently flipping a house. They have ripped out a deck and some other random things. I'm going over there tomorrow to see if I can salvage any lumber. I really, really, really, hope I can pull this off. I have a feeling I'll spend money on chicken wire, but I'm not complaining. I'll post pics once I finish too! My goal is to get it complete by Wednesday.

10. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    If you live in Seattle, there is a store call Second Use. I purchased PVC pipe and parts there to build my nipple water system. It cost me $5.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by