inexpensive fire extinguisher

key west chick

Songster
11 Years
May 31, 2008
Gainesville, GA
DD's new little apartment doesn't have a fire extinguisher. It does have a detector though. Where can I get a small inexpensive extinguisher in case shes trying to cook and she catches it on fire, lol.

Get a large bag of baking soda and put in a plastic tub with a lid on it. Put it under the sink....NOT UNDER THE STOVE. This is the handiest thing to smother a fire, particularly a grease fire! Big extinguishers are expensive and have to be recharged periodically. This is inexpensive and effective.

Yes, Baking soda works good. An extinguisher can be purchased at a hardware store, dept. store( may be in boating supplies), Boat store, truckstop, or in the small town of 6,000 that I live near, believe it or not, there is a Fire Extenguisher Store!

Do NOT confuse Baking soda with flour! KaBoom!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
My daughter's fil was a restaurant cook for many years. When our Thanksgiving turkey drippings caught the oven floor on fire this year, he put it out with flour.
big_smile.png

Sam's Club has smaller household sized fire extinguishers.

Last edited:
Quote:
My daughter's fil was a restaurant cook for many years. When our Thanksgiving turkey drippings caught the oven floor on fire this year, he put it out with flour.
big_smile.png

When I was a youngster,(about 140 yrs. ago)
old.gif
I worked at a grocery store. We would burn the boxes, from stocking, in the incinerator. We would throw in broken bags of flour just to watch the fireball. I think a few bags got broke on purpose.
idunno.gif
duc.gif

Lowes has small fire extinguishers and the 'mount' for about 12$. I have 2 in the house - and they are cheap enough they get replaced periodically and I donate the old ones to the local firedepartment to charge/inspect and give them to people who need them.
smile.png

Then we have a big one my dad got years ago - and he just got it recharged a few weeks ago.

My two little ones are in the kitchen, one about 15 feet from the stove, the other by the fridge on the other side of room. The large one is in the wall of the hallway - by the bedrooms JIC.
wink.png
it weighs about 35 lbs so it is a bit unwieldly but I can wield it easy enough.
smile.png

Check out Lowes - or shop around online. For the moment though do the bulk of baking soda in a tub - it works quite well - had to do this myself a few times for grease fires.

Back
Top Bottom