Inexpensive leg (identification) bands

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buildingmyark, Aug 22, 2010.

1. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    I wanted to be sure to give each of my chicks equal attention (as any good mother). The problem was, I could not really tell them apart at souch a young age. As I walked through Walmart, I racked my brain for a solution to this problem... Lo and Behold...I found the perfect item on the hair accessory aisle! These hair rubber bands have worked perfectly for me, plus they come in a variety of colors and 3 sizes, so you can move up a size as the chicks grow! Cost: around $3.50.

[​IMG]

My two models:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. malignstar

malignstar Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    Winfield, MO
    Good idea! I thought about using small colored zip ties too. You couldn't use them until they stopped growing though because they can only be shortened, not lengthened. They'd be quite a bit more durable too.

3. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    zip ties work but you need to mack shure to change them as they grow

4. woolychicken

woolychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2009
    mesick michigan
    THANKS WHAT A GREAT IDEAL!!![​IMG]

5. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Another person on here used colored straws for her babies...she cut off a 1 inch piece of straw, then split it open and wrapped it around a leg. I'm always amazed by all the thrifty ideas here!

6. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
  7. GrandmaAnn

GrandmaAnn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for this idea. I'd like to be able to tell one of my RIR's from the others as she belongs to my granddaughter.

8. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    yeah, I went with cutlersupply bands too... they were pretty cheap and look sharp, plus they were really easy to put on and were 'soft' to clip off when they needed to be changed. I could have taken them off the same way I put them on but they were cheap enough that I didn't really care.

9. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
  10. buildingmyark

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
    One more thing about leg bands (probably applies to any elastic/stretchy ones).... Yall may already know this, but I thought I would throw out a word of caution just in case. It's very difficult for one person to slip the band over the chicks very-spread-out toes while holding it at the same time. I would highly suggest that one person hold the chick while another person slips the band on. I tried to do this by myself and my finger and the chicks tiny leg were stuck in the band. I about had a stroke trying to figure out how to get my finger out of there without twisting or hurting my babies leg. Can never be too careful [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by