Inexpensive method for candling in classrooms?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by classicsredone, Jul 7, 2011.

1. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    My sister teaches kindergarten, and every year she buys eggs and rents an incubator from the 4-H office. She's never candled the eggs and luckily, none have exploded on her. Once the chicks are a couple weeks old, they go to a friend's ranch. Anyways, I noticed a cool candler that surrounds the egg in a black casing, and it can be fitted with a web cam so that the class can see it. When I told her about the candler she was excited, but it is $59.95 plus shipping.

Are there any other methods that would allow her to handle the egg, and the class to view the egg? I'm thinking something that could be hooked up to a tv, computer, or projector if possible since it is for class full of littles. Thank you!

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Mini mag light, and a webcam would do it. hook web cam into comp, place inside a shoebox (cut a hole for he cord, of course), put a small hole on the oppisite side for the light to shine in, and volia, a back-lit candler. it's just like building a diaroma.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Find a box that will cover the glass on a over head projector. Line the inside with tinfoil an cut a hole a little smaller than the egg. Put the box on the over head projector an the egg on the hole. It should project the egg on the wall.

4. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Those are great ideas, and MUCH less expensive. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by