Inexpensive Pallet Coop *PICS*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lark Rise, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Here is the cheap pallet (plus scrap and a few pieces of new lumber) coop DH built for 10 chickens. He put in a screened bottom so that droppings could be easily collected for our compost bins. It's still a work-in-progress. These are pics before the roof was put on. Working on the run now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    very nice I wondered if they could be used... I wish I knew more.. I really wish there were adult shop classes for women .. I really need to learn how to do things around the house and how to build things and use power tools..

blessed be )O(
    Pink

3. ShanCarl1971

ShanCarl1971 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    pinkwindsong......You can absolutely take classes!!! Almost all technical schools have them. (around here anyway) But, you can also find a lot of how-to videos on you tube...... find a cheap project and watch some videos and give it a try. (maybe a birdhouse or birdfeeder, anything small and easy) Every little thing you do builds your knowledge and your confidence! You just keep getting bigger with your projects. It's not as hard as you think. There are also lots of books that are very helpful. The "for Dummies" series is really good for just about anything. I learned a lot from the ones I have. Actually getting your hands on a project and seeing the steps in action is priceless for learning!!

4. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    My husband keeps trying to come up with projects to use pallets. if i let him he would buold my house out of pallets.

As for learningto build, do it. suggestions buy your own basic tools so you partner cant complain. find a woodworker or builder in your group of freinds or family and ask them to include you in a project. i personally stoped waiting around for things to get done and did them. it mightnot always be exact but nothing has fallen down so far.

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You might talk to your local Lowes or Home depot, they have building saturday classes

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  6. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I think it's pretty awesome!! I would like some more pictures please!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Lark Rise

Lark Rise Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    East Central Georgia
    Here's what it looks like inside the coop (looking through the nest boxes which are in the back). The screened panel on the right is hinged so it can be opened for cleaning the inside of the coop. I'll get more pics when the run is complete.

[​IMG]

8. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    you know, that looks like a pretty clever design! I like it!

9. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    That is a sweet coop [​IMG]

10. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Awesome!!!

How many pallets did you use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by