Inexpensive, quick feed trough

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vsmenagerie, Oct 17, 2011.

1. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I bought a 10' piece of gutter and cut it into 3 sections. We attached it to two boards, on either end, and then put a place for the chickens to stand, by putting another board on the other end of the two boards. I drilled some holes in the gutter since its not covered, so it wont hold water. We have two in the run right now, and I use them for their feed and some treats, since I was not liking everything going on the ground. So far, they are working really well! the only thing I will be changing, is I will be adding some blocks under the gutter piece, to raise it up a little bit.

The gutter cost me $6, the ends are $2 each. We used scrap wood, so that was free. Nice cheap feeders that the chickens seem to love! I think Im going to try making one of the PVC ones soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Love it!!!! The only thing you might try is mounting it a little higher so then don't have to bend over so far. I find if they eat in a more upright position, it discourages wasteful habits, like beaking the feed around. Just a thought.

Love the application. Kudos.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Wow that's really nice!!! And I was just reading that if you keep the food off the ground it helps prevent worm reinfestation. (Not that YOU have problems with worms, but I have recently.)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  4. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Fred's Hens :

Love it!!!! The only thing you might try is mounting it a little higher so then don't have to bend over so far. I find if they eat in a more upright position, it discourages wasteful habits, like beaking the feed around. Just a thought.

Love the application. Kudos.

Yep, once my husband is home from work next week, we'll be raising the gutter some [​IMG] Going to add a block of wood under each end, just need to decide how far up I want to go.

Thanks! they were really quick to put together and its nice having more room for the flock at feeding times!​

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Excellent !!!! I love it !!!! [​IMG] Good job! [​IMG]

6. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a GREAT idea...we are going to try this one.......[​IMG]

7. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:Its really easy! We just winged it with measurements. I need to finish up the 3rd one. I really like them though and I havent seen anyone throwing feed out of them. I made sure the get the gutter that has the lip on it, to help that.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Great idea! [​IMG] DH and I have a piece of gutter that is used for oyster shell it's installed on the inside of the door to our coop.

9. vsmenagerie

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    Quote:I should do that! they keep knocking over the little feeder thing I put the oyster shell in! Which is quite annoying lol

The guy at Lowes was funny. I asked if they could cut it up for me, and he was like: Sure, why? I said: Oh, Im making chicken feeders! He gave me the WEIRDEST look [​IMG]

10. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by