Inexpensive source for pop bottle waterers

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Dec 5, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Cackle hatchery has pop bottle waterers with springs for $13 a dozen shipped. You can order more than a dozen but not less it seems.

Scroll down the page a bit or use <ctrl> 'F' to search using 'pop bottle waterer' as the search query.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/page11.html

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:Those look like the kind I got from another source recently. I have been VERY unhappy with them and am not using them. They are not threaded and if you so much as bump the water bottle you end up with leaks.

They'd be okay for outdoor use, but you probably don't want to use these inside.

I'm debating a couple of possible ways to make use of them. If it works, I'll share later this winter. [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Those look like the kind I got from another source recently. I have been VERY unhappy with them and am not using them. They are not threaded and if you so much as bump the water bottle you end up with leaks.

They'd be okay for outdoor use, but you probably don't want to use these inside.

I'm debating a couple of possible ways to make use of them. If it works, I'll share later this winter. [​IMG]

They work better with Pepsi brand bottles, the 'mouth' of the Coke bottles is too short for them to fit in there very good. [​IMG] Plus you have to take the plastic ring off the bottle to give it a bit more room.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  4. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Will try Pepsi. Not sure what I tried them with. We did take off the plastic rings, though.

Actually, I may not need to try them for a while. [​IMG] The birds that WERE using them are in different cages now.

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    S.S has them here some pop bottles work better then other ones I like Mist lime those are the bottles I am, using that and segrams ginger ale

6. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    They work with any bottle that has what I call a "long cap"
    If you look at pop bottles you will see that some bottles have a shorter cap then others. The longer the better for this type of waterer...

Tho I really wish they would just make it a screw cap.

7. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Rainwolf, I've seen some in catalogs that have screw tops. However, they cost a small fortune (or at least would if you needed very many of them...)

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Try hamster or guinea pig ,or even rabbit water bottles they work great....not in freezing temps.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I bought 1 metal pop-water bottle and I really dislike them. The quail get shavings in them and then end up getting their whole pen wet and nasty!
    I'm using Roden/Rabbit water bottles. I would suggest the small 2 oz. Mice/Hamster bottles. They work good for 1 pair - not a whole bunch. I haven't had any mess since I started using them! [​IMG]

10. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL

They work better with Pepsi brand bottles, the 'mouth' of the Coke bottles is too short for them to fit in there very good. [​IMG] Plus you have to take the plastic ring off the bottle to give it a bit more room.

EXACTLY, THEY ALSO WORK WELL WITH GLASS BOTTLES.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by