Inexperienced Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by centurion90, Oct 18, 2011.

1. centurion90

centurion90 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2011
    Loxahatchee
    I know most people would say momma knows best, but this is one time where i think otherwise. I have a 7 month old cohin bantam who decided to go broody 3 weeks ago and I let her incubate some eggs. I have been trying to decide whether or not to let her raise the babies or to raise them myself. Well, i decided To let her raise them, but prepared a brooder just in case. It was a good thing I did. One chick hatched a day early and i was shocked to find it in the litter of the coop away from the nest box. Luckily it was still alive and as of now he/she is doing very well. Two more hatched this morning and i put them in my brooder with the first chick and everyone is ok. She had eight eggs originally and five have hatched. To my dismay, I found two chicks dead. One was dead from unknown causes, completely hatched but dead, the other dead from an obvious cause: A Corn Snake! A corn snake had crawled under mom and ate a chick out from under her! It was still under her when I found it. Im pretty upset. How could she let this happen? Is it because shes young? And what about the other three? At least one was pipping early. Should i leave them under her? Any info or advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance.[​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I get the feeling from what you wrote, that it really is because she is new to this motherhood thing. The snake can happen to any broody as they never seem to correlate. I would give her another chance next time she gets broody. If something peculiar like this happens again, that would be the end of her hatching anything on my yard. Bantam Cochins are usually fine broodies, but any hen can get it wrong the first time........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by