Inexperienced chicken mom here

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dionnab, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Dionnab

Dionnab Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    I have a Drarf Orlandsk who only started laying a couple of weeks ago. She was laying almost every day. She suddenly stopped and sits on the nest a lot. There is a golf ball in the nest. She gets of and runs away cackling and clucking loudly, if I try to touch her. What is going on with her? Help!

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Sounds like signs of broodiness, but after only laying for such a short time, it seems a little strange.

CT

3. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Broody, no doubt... can happen much earlier with bantams than lf too... I had a bantam Call duck that laid for 4 weeks only before she decided to set, hatched a full brood and was an excellent mother too...

1 person likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Is she sitting on the nest at night too?

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Take the golf ball out....Just her way of being bossy....Pecking order in action. She is young. I had two hens last year that started to lay and then nothing for a few weeks. Their bodies need to get in sync. Soon she will get into the groove.

6. Dionnab

Dionnab Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    Thank you so much. I took the golf ball out and locked her out of the nest she was sitting in today. We will see?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by