Inexperienced Males

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Emilys3guppies, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    My male coturnix just recently discovered the girls. He's 7 weeks old and is completely hormone driven. He runs like a crazy bird after any girl that will let herself get close to him, trying to mount her.

He's pulled a bunch of feathers off the head of one of my hens. She isn't bloody, but it looks raw.

Will he get better? Should I expect a few wounds before he gets the hang of what he's doing? Or is this a sign that he's aggressive with the ladies?

Thanks,
    Emily

ETA: He's in a pen with 3 ladies.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

They slow down with age....that sounds familiar. But I'd give the hens a break and let that roo cool his heels a little. [​IMG]

3. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    UGggg. He ripped the feathers out of the other side of the one hen's head and drew blood. She'll be OK though.

The other hen is now missing an eye though.

I think that Teagan is going to end up an appetizer. Can't have him killing off all my hens...that sort of defeats the purpose.

I trimmed his beak and one wing's flight feathers. Do you think that will put him in his place?

ETA: I put the two hens in a sick pen. Just so you don't think they're still in with him.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    is he the only boy, I keep at least 2 young ones (boys,only if they grew up together) in a pen it keeps them from terrorizing the hens, till they get older

5. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Quote:I have another male that he was raised with...I seperated them last week. Could I put them back together? When they are older will it be better?

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    you can try just keep an eye on them and add him after dark, I've added male after removing them and had no problems, but you never know

7. kingpincray

kingpincray Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Palmerston North
    I find that some males are worse than others. You might want to source another male if that carries on.

8. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Quote:True in more than just the quail world [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by