luvmesomechicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Riverside, CA
breed?

88882_daddysroost2.jpg

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Barrd thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Yes I googled images and i am pretty sure its the old english since it showed another colored one I have. This definitely explains alot the way its been acting. Yesterday it attacked its mother and I had a hell of a time getting it in a separate cage. When he was small I was able to pick him up with no problems. Now he challenged me yesterday when I cornered him. He has attacked my leg twice in the past and I thought it was because I was about to feed them. but yesterday once I got him in the cage he took his anger out on the door for about a minute then finally settled down. He is beginning to get outta control and he is only about 11 months. The other rooster I do have I haven't even tried to pick him up mainly cuz the way this one is acting.

Drat--sorry to hear he's being such a feisty-pants. The games roos are pretty territorial from what I understand. We have an OEG hen, and she's the sweetest thing ever, so I guess there's a balance. Two years ago she had a hen chick by one of our Andalusian roosters (now there was an awkward courtship) and that kid was wild as a March hare.

I prefer roosters that don't go after people. For one thing, if you have to hire a petsitter, it's awkward to have them tell you how they got chased out of the chicken yard by the rooster.
D.gif

In six years we've only had one aggressive roo, and he was a trial; fortunately he was so big and fat he couldn't get off the ground with a catapult, so we never had to worry about him flying at our faces or jumping and spurring. He did enough damage with his beak to be a real pain in the shin. Ever since him, I've re-homed roos that were getting aggressive. Sometimes moving them to a new environment settles them out; others do better when they get a little older. Serious hard cases do great with dumplings . . . but we don't have the stomach to do it ourselves.
wink.png

Yeah I mean he used to be okay with me picking him up. Perhaps if I held him more often he wouldn't be like that. Luckily for me (and him) he hasn't attacked my daughter. Im hoping he will settle down but am somewhat afraid leaving him in a separate cage is gonna make him more aggro. And after the way he was pulling on his moms comb/wattle I think he is passed a point of no return. Only time will tell I guess.

Back
Top Bottom