Inexplicably blind rooster - wish I knew why?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DIYgirl, Oct 25, 2016.

1. DIYgirl

DIYgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Harford Township, PA
    My three year old Columbian Cochin Bantam, Jules, wsuddenly went blind. No attack, no illness, just dilated eyes. He was running into things and rapidly lost weight and was cowering in a corner. I had to put him on his roost at night. He had been the ruler of the roost of eight hens, all but one full size. In hindsight, I feel terrible for putting him up there, because he was there when I got home from work, no food or water, because he could not get down. I just didn't know what was happening, as there was no attack or illness. Just two days ago, I realized that his pupils were dilated in the middle of the day.

The hens that he has valiantly protected for years are turning on him - pecking at him as they walk by. If I move him out of the coop, he will not know where he is. He has lived in the same coop and run since I brought him home. I am ridiculously sad for him. He tries to scratch and peck outside, but he cannot see, finds nothing, and gives up, laying down and trying his best to hide in the brush at the side of the yard.

I have no idea why he went blind. His eyes are crystal clear, just dilated. None of my family or friends understand my dilemma, so I could really use some support and all advice you have.

Thank you all in advance. You do not know how appreciative I am. The link below is all of my Instagram posts of Jules.

~Stacie

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/julestherooster/

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I will give you both advice and support.[​IMG]
    I have a blind EE hen. It is due to a dog attack July 2015. She is 10 1/2 years old.now. I keep her separated in a dog cage during the day so the others do not pick on her. At night I place her on the ground portion of the coop. Do not want her on the roost from where she would fall and get hurt. She finds her food and water (maybe by sense of smell???). My chickens are pets only, so I will take care of her till the end.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think she knows that she is in a cage.

[​IMG]
    This is her last year before the attack.

If you can, then try the same with your rooster. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had a hen go blind this summer, pupils not dilated but it was clear(haha) that she couldn't see....think it was from the heat.
    I gave her some electrolytes/vitamins(chick saver) by the drop off a Qtip at the side of her beak.
    Took 3-4 sessions of that one day before she would drink on her own.
    Sight in one eye came back, I think the other one is still bad, but she seems fine.
    If she hadn't regained her independence, she woulda been soup.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help much.

1 person likes this.
  4. DIYgirl

May 19, 2015
    Harford Township, PA
    I appreciate your response and advice! Thank you very much!

5. DIYgirl

May 19, 2015
    Harford Township, PA
    I will definitely put him in a crate with the bottom removed so that he is protected from predators - awesome idea! Then I can fill it with goodies for him to eat and the girls can't steal everything. The saddest part is that he tries to scratch and eat and, of course, cannot see anything. 24 degrees this morning, so not many opportunities for grass eating ahead, but if we get a warm day, I will try it!

Thank you so much!

6. DIYgirl

May 19, 2015
    Harford Township, PA
    My Jules died peacefully yesterday morning, in his own time. I was holding him and talking to him until 10pm the night before. Thanks for the support!

Here's my boy in healthy times:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJgkCFXjpDI/

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Bummer....Condolences.

Any other sign of illness.....or did he slowly decline??

8. DIYgirl

May 19, 2015
    Harford Township, PA
    Took about a week to go completely blind, then I think depression did the rest. About a month of decline to death.

Thanks

9. kgb6days

kgb6days Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2016
    [​IMG]I'm so sorry - it's never easy to lose them.

10. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I know how you feel.... [​IMG] I have been there myself, and it is a sad time. You did the best you could.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by