Rooter cogburn

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
Hello all. I am a single father some how making ends meet. I love animals and I feel like I know them. (Well not all of it yet) Disability doesnt pay well so i figure coupled with my love of the outdoors and affinity for animals, homesteading would be a great way to earn some cash while also enjoying my life. Problem is how do i do that. Alabama is like one big back yard that you forgot to mow after the front. End of march i bought 5 white rock and 5 jersey giant hens, uncle gave me a rir rooster from the last straight run he got. Also very interested in Cotournix quail. Help with any gainful knowledge as to how to turn a profit will be met with an abundance of appreciation. My son is 10 and he insists on eating and growing. I've tried to talk to him but the only thing he will pay me is no mind.

Welcome RC. There is a lot to learn here. I'd recommend looking into free-ranging and fermented feeds as a way to reduce feed costs. You can search for those subjects and find plenty of info. Good luck in your quest to help support yourself and your son.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

When you figure out how to make money on poultry, do let me in on it. :lol: My crew of birds costs me WAY more than they put out, but I love them anyway. Ha!

Do make yourself at home here and welcome to our roost! :)

Im up for all ideas. I think there are many ways i can find to incorporate even the most seemingly small ideas. The chickens were for sustenance, atleast until we figure the profit thing out. I thought of also japanese quail because of their proliferation. There are many chinese and japanese cuisine restaurants around tje area. The meat market down the road said they would be interested in live quail
That id need to be licensed to clean and sale squab. Also ive had much experience with goats likewise goats meat. I know enough to know that i dont know but it seems like i may be able to tap into some kind of ethnic market.

Im up for all ideas. I think there are many ways i can find to incorporate even the most seemingly small ideas. The chickens were for sustenance, atleast until we figure the profit thing out. I thought of also japanese quail because of their proliferation. There are many chinese and japanese cuisine restaurants around tje area. The meat market down the road said they would be interested in live quail
That id need to be licensed to clean and sale squab. Also ive had much experience with goats likewise goats meat. I know enough to know that i dont know but it seems like i may be able to tap into some kind of ethnic market.

Now quail are a bit more productive when it comes to feeding yourself. Coturnix quail are ready for the table at 7 weeks of age. They begin laying at 9 weeks, so you can turn them over very fast. And many restaurants consider Cot eggs a delicacy! Lots of folks here on BYC (in our Quail forums) raise enough of them to fill their freezers!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

I keep Bobwhites and wow, they take a very long time to mature, so I wouldn't go the route I did. LOL But Quail are fun no matter what species you keep.

Back
Top Bottom