Infected comb or is this a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Smeamers, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Smeamers

Smeamers Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    As I was cleaning out the brooder this evening I noticed one of my SLW chicks had a pink/red bump on the top of her beak that I've never seen before. They're 2 weeks old. Is it possible she's a roo or is this some sort of infection?

Here are a few pics although the bump/comb looks more red in real life...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is one of the other SLW chicks for reference...

[​IMG]

My husband would be so happy if we ended up with a rooster, but I don't know how our neighbors would feel about that!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Looks like normal comb development to me. [​IMG]

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm hoping that will be your SLW roo! I love my mine, he is a very good boy. I live on 1 acre in a subdivision and I was really afraid that my neighbors would complain about my roo (who was supposed to be a pullet) but not one person has said anything negative about him. The ones that I've asked have said they enjoy hearing him. So, who knows, your neighbors might not mind it either... if that's a he, that is.

< See my roo in my avatar?

BTW, that is an adorable little chick, whatever sex it turns out to be!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2009
  4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Could be a roo.

5. Smeamers

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Quote:Hmmm...maybe she's just an early developer compared to the rest then. It just really jumped out at me as none of the others have it. Can you tell this is my first time with chicks? [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hmmm...maybe she's just an early developer compared to the rest then. It just really jumped out at me as none of the others have it. Can you tell this is my first time with chicks? [​IMG]

I'm sorry, I should have made my anwer clearer. Yes, it definitely could be a baby roo. What I meant was there's nothing wrong with the comb, not infected.

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

No infection. Looks like a rose comb and likely a cockeral......Pop

8. Smeamers

Feb 16, 2009
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Thanks everyone for your replies! My husband and kids are so excited to see how she/he grows (ok, I am too)! The neighbors on one side decided to raise some cornish cross this summer (their first chickens), so they'll probably be understanding and I'm sure some nice fresh eggs will butter up the other neighbors. We do live in the country, so there are other people down the road with chickens and goats. I've just never heard a rooster crow and our neighbors are still kind of close, so I didn't want to ruffle anyone's feathers. I'll post updates with pics!

9. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    beautiful birds youve got there! So I have basically the same question...seeing your post made me wonder about my one chick that is feathering slightly faster than the rest, about the same size, but her coomb is just a bit longer and she has that same bump. The others have it, but not as high and large...they're all supposed to be white leghorn pullets...but I can't say I would be upset about a single roo. :) Going to try to attach a pic or two...this is my first time doing that so bear with me!
    Thanks!
    ok...so it's not working. Can someone tell me how to post pictures in a message?

10. sangel4you

sangel4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Halifax, Pennsylvania
    ok I think I've got it- thank to everyone for the messages with instructions!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    poor thing looks a wreck because of this feathering bit
    [​IMG]
    one with tail feathers
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance for any input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by