infected comb?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by karelee, Oct 5, 2016.

1. karelee

karelee In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    My rooster has a very folded comb, in the crease he has smelly yellow....well gunk. I have cleaned it out and it seems a little better but it continues to come back. Any ideas what it could be? Is it just from moisture getting in there and it not being able to dry? Any help is greatly appreciated!

This is what his comb looks like naturally, you can see how much it folds over above his beak.
    [​IMG]

When I stretch it you can see all the yuck in there.
    [​IMG]

Other side, not as bad but also in a crease.
    [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I haven't really seen that before, but have the same line of thought you do. Moisture, dirt/debris gets in there and causes the yuck.

It looks like his nares (nostrils) are clogged as well? Does he ever seem to sneeze to clear them?

Since it is smelly, that would lead me to believe it has some type of bacterial/yeast infection.
    Having someone to assist you would be good. Wrap him in a towel so you have better control. Clean it out the best you can. Try to get all the gunk from his nares and beak as well. After you get cleaned and dried, apply some anti-fungal cream. You will most likely need to do this every day until it heals.

Now, for aftercare, I would think it will be an ongoing battle. Since his comb is folded like that, you will have to stay on top of it to keep it clean.

The only other solution, would be to dub the comb (cut it off), but you would want to get the gunk and infection cleared up first before even considering that.

3. karelee

karelee In the Brooder

Apr 11, 2015
    The stuff on his nostrils is actually drainage from the comb, I was concerned he had some kind of respiratory issue also but once I clean it you can tell its not coming from there. I was also thinking anti-fungal cream might be the way to go but wasn't sure if it was ok for him. I also wondered if gold bond powder applied carefully so he doesn't breath it in would be helpful. Thanks for your help!

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You can definitely use an anti-fungal cream (Lotrimin, Tinactin, and other anti-fungal) these can are commonly used for treating a condition called Favus. I'm not sure about powder, if you are very careful it may work. You may also want to think about trying a skin barrier ointment like A+D ointment or something similar to seal out moisture while he heals.

If you haven't done so, try to get all that off his beak and clean the nares well too. If it's bacterial you don't want it to get into the sinus - then you will have even more problems.

Keep us posted on his progress and what treatment(s) you use, this will be helpful for others in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by