1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Infected cut on chick's toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ivy061, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    A couple of days ago I picked up some new chicks from TSC. Today I noticed my feather footed bantam had poo stuck to his feet so I soaked them in warm water.
    It came off quite easily. I thought that I should check my baby silkie too since it's feet were feathered. It didn't have any poo on it's feet but I discovered that it had a circular cut around it's middle toe.
    Parts of it are grey and look dead but the tip still looks alive and he has no trouble walking. There was some dried blood but I washed it off to get a better look.
    What should I do? I don't want him to lose the tip of his toe. How do I stop the infection?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    are you sure it's infected? I would wash real good with soap and water then apply blue-kote to the toe that will help it to heal and also disguise the wound so the other chicks won't peck it.

3. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    It's greyish green. I'm not sure but what else could that be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by