Infected eye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sticksoup, May 19, 2010.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    My pekin has an infected eye. It has foamy little bubbles in the corner and looks a little bit swollen and red. Any suggestions? It just started getting bubbly today.
    **Note- he's always attacking the chickens and they defend themselves- usually with a kick or peck at his eye. It looked a little cut yesterday so I'm assuming this is from that.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Give him clean water often in a container that he can get his whole head into. Often these foamy eves clear up by themselves.

3. sticksoup

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Thanks Goosedragon~ He lives free on the pond. Think I should just let him be?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    sticksoup, just check on him frequently. Infections can clear up, but they can get worse. There is an opthalmic antibiotic drop that can be used. I read about it in Storey's Guide so that is all I can offer.

5. sticksoup

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Thanks Amiga~ We actually have some of those medicated drops left over from when this duck's sister got sick a few months ago. We gave him a drop and so far so good. Still looks a little red and there's a little cut- but no bubbles today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by