Infected Eye

flirty31

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Today on my lunch break, I noticed that my RIR (who has been laying for a week now) has a swollen upper eyelid. I googled this and was met with a slew of things, and now I am convinced she is going to die and take my other two girls (my whole flock) with her. I am freaking out, and I may not need to be. Everything I have read sounds really technical and so I don't know what to do or where to start. This is my first backyard flock so I am not familiar with these issues.

Here's what I think I'm going to do first:
Separate her from the others
Take a warm wet cloth to her eye
Clean with eye drops
put some neosporin on the infected flesh

Please let me know what you think I should do.

Slow down, lol. If she's still eating/drinking, she's probably not going to die, but she probably is contagious. Can you post some pictures of her eye?

Have you read this thread?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/752480/polish-eye-injury-3-weeks-later-no-improvement-help

hide.gif
I know I am hoping that I am just overreacting (seriously) especially since I only noticed this today.

I will post a photo as soon as I can. I know folks would be able to advise better if I did.

The good news is she won't slow down so it was difficult to get a photo. I have separated her from the rest of the birds and have her in her own little space with food and water. I uirrigated her eye with saline solution and it was less puffy by the time I did this, so I decided not to do neosporin (even though my neosporin doesn't appear to have any pain meds in it so it would probably be okay).

I let her out for a few minutes this morning and she ran around the yard free ranging. She seems healthy (for now) except the eye, but I don't want to take any chances.

Here are photos of her eyes, let me know what you think. First her "normal" eye:

Next her "bad" eye:

Yesterday it was more puffy, more towards the front of the eye (almost seemed as if it was pushing her eyeball backward). And it was more enflamed/enlarged above the eyeball in a way that made it seem like she had a big, angry eyebrow. I hope this is making sense! Any help/advice much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom