infected eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 3Xgranny, Sep 7, 2013.

1. 3Xgranny

3Xgranny Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    I have noticed the other chickens peeking her in the eye, I just found out about the snotty chicken disease and treated them for 3 days (is this too short a period) I am treating her with tetracycline again. It is largley swollen even has eye partially open and can see pus in the eye area. I use straw as their bedding. This has been going on for a couple of months but not this bad. I have her singled out now by herself till she heals. she is a bantam. small, very light weight. she has not been grooming herself and has some rough feathers. I thank you for your comment earlier. Do I need to continue to treat the other chickens with tetracycline. they appear healthy now and does not smell bad around the head. thank you 3Xgranny

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the chicken had a bad odor before treament you might be dealing with coryza which responds better to Di-Methox orAlbon (sufadimethoxine.) Since you don't know what disease it is I would probably treat with Tylan (for 5-7 days), Erythromycin, or oxytetracycline if your medicine does not seem to be working. You have to give the tetracycline for 7-14 days and use the stronger mixing directions on the label. I would treat the rest too if you continue the tetracycline.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by