Infected Eyes

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Maiadab, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Maiadab

Maiadab Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    South Central Texas
    I had a chicken start with bubbly eyes last Wednesday. We started Tylan 50 Thursday on all 7 chickens. By Thursday evening 3 of the chickens had bubbly eye. By Friday 2 of the chickens no longer had bubbly eye except the first chicken that started it all. Now all the chickens are healthy again except the chicken who started it all. That chicken then ended up with an infection in both eyes. The drainage is now green. It does not have an odor but it has the eyes swollen shut and and very sore. She is not sneezing or having trouble breathing and when I can get her eyes cleaned out enough to open them she is active like normal and will eat and drink. Problem is I can't keep them cleaned out which means she can't see.

Saturday I started putting neosporin on her eyes and I thought that was helping but Sunday night she was as bad as she was before. I am thinking it is time to cull her. I keep thinking though that if I hold out another day she will turn around.

Any advice?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It sounds like you're doing the right thing. Maybe another course of Tylan? Or a different antibiotic?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you post pictures of the eye?

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I'd cull.

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Why?

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Respiratory disease.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  7. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I lack knowledge in the respiratory dept. of diseases. But I guess there's diseases that don't go away and put others at risk ?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I believe that is the case with most, if not all poultry respiratory diseases. And I think the ones like MS and MG are transmitted through the shell to the chick. Because of this, I would never buy hatching eggs from someone that posted about their birds and sinus problems, lol.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One option would be to collect some blood and send it off to the state lab for MS/MG testing. The avian pathologist made a comment about how it would make their job easier if everyone did that. He said all he need is a few cc's in a red-topped tube.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by