infected feather shaft

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carolynclarke, Jan 30, 2015.

1. carolynclarke

carolynclarke Hatching

Jan 30, 2015
    i am new to the chicken world, i have had my 7 chickens for 2 years but i have a lot to learn. i was looking over my rooster and noticed that his feathers looked damaged on his back just before his tail feathers start. when i looked closer it looked like the feather shafts (maybe 5-6 of them) looked swollen and infected. they also bothered him when i touched the area. after looking at them and doing some research i decided to pull these feathers, when i did i noticed they were full of a liquid that oozed out of the feather itself. i washed the skin and applied an ointment. my main issue is i could not find much info on this and wanted to know if i did the right thing and what i should do in the future.

also about a 1/2 inch from this is a small flesh piece that is maybe 1/4 inch tall and has a couple very small feathers sticking from it. i thought this was an ingrown feather but when i tried to mess with it it didnt look like thats what it is. is this something they are supposed to have? i have 3 books on chickens and didnt find info on this in any of them.

thanks so much for your help
    carolyn

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The small flesh or growth you saw located near the base of his tail feathers is an oil gland. All chickens have them and is normal, dont mess with it.
    As far as the fluid filled feather shafts; there might be some type of skin infection going on or perhaps shaft mites. I recommend continuing with an antibiotic ointment for 10 days. Then if there isnt any improvement, consider purchasing Ivermectin Pour On. Then place 5 drops of the ivermectin pour on onto bare skin on the back of his neck. It will quickly absorb through skin into the bloodstream and should kill the mites...IF that's what it is.
    The 250ml bottle costs $34.95 not including shipping:
    http://www.jefferspet.com/products/ivomec-pour-on
    No need to purchase the ivermectin if the antibiotic ointment clears it up.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  3. carolynclarke

carolynclarke Hatching

Jan 30, 2015
    thanks so much, i have been putting diatomaceous earth on him until now. i will keep putting on the ointment and keep an eye on it, thanks so much for the help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: