Infected frostbite

MamaCta

In the Brooder
Dec 22, 2016
So after a cold snap I New a few of my birds had a bit of frostbite but now we've had a winter heat wave the last get days making my run wet stinky and just a mess. Keeping my hen house dry clean and nicely bedded up but I can't stop nature and now my poor birds feet are sadly infected. Any advice? These are very large birds. My one rooster is 17lbs they need good feet

Sorry about your birds. Can you post any pictures? Frostbite affects the feet and toes by causing the black parts to fall off. Usually, you will see slightly swollen healthy pink tissue just above the frostbitten parts. A good treatment is to bring in the birds to a warm area, and use a warm foot bath with Epsom salts, betadine, or chlorhexidene in some water. Afterward coat the feet with either betadine, Vetericyn wound spray, or plain Neosporin ointment. Keep them inside until they are completely dry. If at all possible, bringing them inside to a basement or garage and keeping them on dry old towels may help. Toes or limbs will eventually drop off in several weeks if the are black and shriveled. With missing toes or a foot, many chickens can live okay, but if both feet are affected, most chickens would not live a good life. Please let us know how they are doing tomorrow or the next day.

Sorry about your birds. Can you post any pictures? Frostbite affects the feet and toes by causing the black parts to fall off. Usually, you will see slightly swollen healthy pink tissue just above the frostbitten parts. A good treatment is to bring in the birds to a warm area, and use a warm foot bath with Epsom salts, betadine, or chlorhexidene in some water. Afterward coat the feet with either betadine, Vetericyn wound spray, or plain Neosporin ointment. Keep them inside until they are completely dry. If at all possible, bringing them inside to a basement or garage and keeping them on dry old towels may help. Toes or limbs will eventually drop off in several weeks if the are black and shriveled. With missing toes or a foot, many chickens can live okay, but if both feet are affected, most chickens would not live a good life. Please let us know how they are doing tomorrow or the next day.

So sorry for the late reply. But I thank you for your caring response. I've cleaned his feet with some warm water and hibitane. The a hoot coating of betadine every day very gently. Not much black anymore and his feeling is coming back. Also started penG as he went flat out on me. The water soluble wade the cuting it. He's perkyer and eating and drinking very well again. However he won't tolerate the high temperature in my small house with a rediculacly big wood heater. It's going to be to much for him. So I've segregated him into a high roost and took away the stairs to that level. Then I bring him down in the morning and lock the the rest of the brood out as my other 4 roosters beat him up pretty badly. Now mending his poor beautiful comb as well
1f62a.png
So other then pain and not wanting to walk much he's improving. Any advice for his pain? I've over heard Origel topically can help?? Haven't done it yet but he needs something.

Oh. Also. He has lost only one toenail and a few comb spikes( some are still black). But the rest of his toes are turning grey/yellowish and starting to lift at the edges. However I am not pulling and trying not to aggivate those areas. Just keeping clean. I am accustom to surgical procedures as I am an Ex vet assistant/surgical assistant/anisthiologist. For small companion animals. But chickens are different. Would honestly just like to see this old timer in less pain. Breaks my heart. Even if they are my families source of food. There's no reason for then not have a happy health life free form suffering.

It's good that he has a caring owner. Many would recommend euthanasia, but I would give him a chance as you are, unless he is suffering. Many people use aspirin (a low dose 81mg tablet) twice a day for pain. Put it in food, give it straight, or in water. Many people are cautious to use painkillers such as benzocaine, lidocaine, or others found in topical creams and ointments due to a possible toxicity since there can be overdosage. These are actually used in vet surgeries with caution, but most chicken people avoid them. When you have more news about his recovery, please give us another update.

Back
Top Bottom