Infected leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarriBrown, Apr 30, 2007.

1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

It looks like Crash's leg is getting infected. The vet didn't say anything about antibiotics. He just said to keep the leg drained and move it around to help stretch the tendon out.
    I want to give him antibiotics but he has a little friend with him and I don't want to give the friend antibiotics if I don't have to. But I can't seperate them because Crash cries for his friend. [​IMG]

Anyone have any idea of what I should do?? Should I just give the both of them the antibiotics?

2. dumblond

dumblond Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2007
    Joplin, Missouri
    Do you have any triple antibiotic ointment? No need to give oral antibiotics if you don't have to.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Yes. I've been using that since he came home. I called the vet and they said to ice it (??? I ran it under cool water) and see how it is tomorrow. We have a 4pm vet appointment just in case.

4. MTchick

MTchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Western Montana
    Giving antibiotics to the both of them isn't a crime- it shouldn't hurt the healthy chick and it could save Crashes little fuzzy life. Good luck at the vet appointment!

-MTchick

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by