Infected or impacted crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 4DogFarm, Nov 13, 2013.

1. 4DogFarm

4DogFarm New Egg

Nov 13, 2013
    My 4 yr old rooster is moulting, and I just noticed that he's got some red patches. The crop area is hard, non-movable, and a bit warm. It won't move at all. The swelling sort of wraps up around his neck. This erupted some time between 4 pm last night and this morning. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    Thank for any advice. Right now he's in a pen by himself, which probably causes him a bit of stress. And, edited to add, there is no smell from him at all.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure about the red splotches on his chest. The treatment for impacted crop is to flush the crop with water, and massage it several times a day. Some recommend giving a teaspoonful of vegetable oil, but water flushing is the key. Also, make sure chickens always have plenty of grit. Crop surgery is sometimes needed after a period of time when you fail at flushing it. Here is a link about impacted crop: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/ImpactedCrop_OldWay.html

3. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by