What do I do for a possible infected oviduct???

i-love-my-honey

Songster
13 Years
Aug 9, 2010
Please help! I have a 5ish year old Cream Legbar hen who has been laying rotten eggs for about 3 weeks or so. She layed one yesterday that barely had a shell and had a rotten spot in it. Before yesterday I thought I simply had some eggs going bad faster than others.

Doing an internet search brought me to the thought she might have an infected oviduct.

I checked her vent and it is swollen and bright red on either side. I thought she was just going through an extended molt, but now think she is just really sick.

What can I treat her with, what dosage, and for how long? All I have is some bactricillin and some sulmet on hand. I can get other meds from Tractor Supply. Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Please help! I have a 5ish year old Cream Legbar hen who has been laying rotten eggs for about 3 weeks or so. She layed one yesterday that barely had a shell and had a rotten spot in it. Before yesterday I thought I simply had some eggs going bad faster than others.

Doing an internet search brought me to the thought she might have an infected oviduct.

I checked her vent and it is swollen and bright red on either side. I thought she was just going through an extended molt, but now think she is just really sick.

What can I treat her with, what dosage, and for how long? All I have is some bactricillin and some sulmet on hand. I can get other meds from Tractor Supply. Any suggestions welcome!

Thank you.
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Could you post a picture of the hen’s vent? Has there been some pecking injury to the vent, or tearing? Has she ever had a prolapse? The problem with treating with those drugs is that it needs to be the right drug for the bacteria. Sulmet may treat E.coli, and penicillin may treat some gram positive bacteria, but many bacteria have developed resistance to it. If you could see a vet, they might be able to diagnose the problem and give the proper antibiotic.

Thank you.
Can you post some photos of the rotten eggs (inside of them too), of your hen and the vent?

Are the eggs solid?

It's hard to know what's going on with her, she may have Salpingitis(?) The Bactracillin may help with infection.

I hope she's feeling a bit better, let us know how she is.

The best option is to take her to a vet.
Your description suggests an infection, but where exactly the infection originates and what the best treatment is is something only a proper examination by an avian vet is going to tell you.
In general, oviduct infection and reproductive problems in hens are terminal. It's often a question of keeping the hen as comfortable as possible until her quality of live deteriorates.
Unfortunately the solution is often to euthanise the hen.
I'm sorry I can't write anything more positive.

The eggs on the outside (except for the one yesterday, which o threw away) look normal. The insides have a broken yolks and a dark spot I them. Yesterday's egg only had a spot, about 1/4"x1/4" that was black and slimy-looking. Of course, it was inside an egg, so that is not saying much.

Her vent actually looks better today, although her abdomen is still swollen. It is only cherry red on one side. I have three chickens who lay white eggs. The other two look completely normal.

Here are pictures.
20191023_143344.jpg
20191023_143344.jpg
20191023_143344.jpg

Attachments

• 20191023_144753.jpg
    20191023_144753.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 14
That was not laid fresh today, I just found that egg in my stash. That is probably a week+ old. I noticed it because it smelled. The one she layed yesterday was a solid yolk. I also found one that I boiled that had a bad spot in it. It is just a gray spot, but you can tell it is not good. It is more of a dark
20191023_182818.jpg
gray in actuality than in the picture.

Back
Top Bottom