Infected spur Advice needed **PIC**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DesertDweller, Aug 12, 2014.

1. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    Two days ago one of our roosters got his spur caught up in chicken wire and the outer shell tore off. We put antibiotic ointment on it and wrapped it up. We changed it yesterday and it looked fine, but today it looks swollen and there was a bit of green on the bandage. Do I need to give him an antibiotic, if so what? I need something that can be easily found at a feed store. I've never treated a chicken infection and would appreciate some help. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    That's awful fast for infection to set in isn't it? I would soak it in Epsom salts warm water once or twice a day and use the ointment. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone bandage a spur but I guess it would help it stay cleaner? Mine occasionally rip theirs off if they get loose and get to another pen for some through the fence fighting....but I usually just clean them up with betadine and put Neosporin on them. IF the injuries are pretty bad I soak them too.

3. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    We've had him lose a spur before, but it came completely off. This time just the outer shell came off. It's been two days so I do think its infected. We soaked it a bit in Epsom salt yesterday and have been putting Neosporin on, but now it looks worse. I'm worried the infection will spread to his leg and then we will have bigger problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by