infection HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by millersdawn616, Jun 10, 2011.

1. millersdawn616

millersdawn616 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    i have a lil 9 week old leghorn and she had gotten out and was missing for three days. i agve up looking figureing shes dead ): but th other day she showed up!!!!!![​IMG] exept she had a pencil eraser size hole in her head with puss. shes acting fine, jumping round and haven fun dispit her wound. i dont want to lose her. WHAT DO I DO or should i leave it alone and let her body heal on its oun since its been so long eny way

thanks!!!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Use a Q-tip to very gently clean out the puss, then flush with 50/50 iodine and water mixture... pack the puncture with neosporin without pain reliever. Continue this on a daily basis til it heals.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So glad to hear she's back!
    You can also clean with 9 parts water to 1 part betadine solution and then do apply the neosporin and watch closely to make sure healing okay. If not, she may need oral or innjectible antibiotics but as long as it seems to be improving and she's eating and drinking well, she should be okay. She may really benefit from lots of extra nutrition right now, both because she wasn't home for 3 days and also to help her heal. (poultry vitamin/minerals, Avia Charge 2000, Rooster Booster, or 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins daily dribbled gently along her beak line with a dropper so she swallows on her own and doesn;t choke - tastes like crud so follow with something tasty like cut up blueberries that you hand feed her.)
    JJ

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    How is she??????????? [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by