Infection of domestic poultry with HPAI

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vfrench, Jan 14, 2015.

1. vfrench

vfrench New Egg

Jan 3, 2015
    The department of agriculture has advised backyard owners to practice good bio security and prevent contact with wild birds. I don't want to keep them in the coop all day. The yard in front of the coop is 10 by 10. When I feed them scratch some wild birds come to eat the scratch. I don't think I can cover the yard. Has anyone dealt with HPAI?

2. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas

Where are you located?

I'm reading from the CDC website that there have been no reported cases of that in wild birds or domestic flocks. :/
    I'm assuming that's an up to date statement, but who knows?

3. vfrench

vfrench New Egg

Jan 3, 2015
    Salt Lake City Ut
    I am a falconer also and they issued the warning on the news and in an email from our association. Here is a copy of the email if that helps. I know it is long.

Today I received an email from Russell Norvell, the Avian Program co-ordinator and biologist. He was gracious enough to give us early warning before the PR crew released this to the press.

Both forms to Avian Influenza that were being tracking in WA, OR and CA have been found in hunter killed ducks in Davis County. This disease claimed 2 falconry birds in WA already. It is serious threat to our birds.

The DWR is stepping up monitoring of waterfowl in UT in light of this discovery. The Biologists will be releasing a press release soon with contact information to report suspicious waterfowl die offs. These would be sites with more than 5 dead birds not located near power poles or roads that might indicate deaths by collisions.

Neither of the strains are currently associated with human illness but that is not impossible and proper safety measures is recommended. They recommend using latex or nitrile gloves when handling game. They also suggest eye protection. Feeding your birds the flesh of contaminated birds is likely to cause infection and illness. This is how the Gyr's in WA contracted the disease. Russ recommended that we practice strong biological security for the safety of our birds. It would be wise to avoid hunting Waterfowl for a period.

Risk for domestic birds:

Infection of domestic poultry with HPAI may cause high morbidity and mortality. Both commercial producers and backyard bird owners should be encouraged to practice good bio security and prevent contact between domestic and wild birds. If unusual mortalities are observed, the bird owners should immediately contact the Utah Department of Agriculture in Salt Lake City at (801) 538-7164.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by