1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Infection or Eyeworn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pattercorn11, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Pattercorn11

Pattercorn11 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    Texas
    I have a 7 month old Black Copper Marans with an awful eye issue. It's very swollen, red, with nasty yellowish-white cheese looking gunk in the corner and one inner eyelid swollen as well. I started treating her with Terramycin approx 3x a day thinking it was an infection. It didn't help so I took a guess with some old Tobramycin. It seemed to help with the redness but no real progress. Then with the help of "Dr Google" I'm thinking its Eye Worm. I can't see a worm that I can tell. But I've been using Valbazen on the eye as well as once orally. Also tried VetRx but no real progress with anything. I'm sure she's probably blind by now, but I still want to fix whatever it is so that it doesn't travel or make her sick. She acts mostly normal (eats, drinks etc.) But I can tell she is uncomfortable. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is there a bad odor around her head? It sounds like infectious coryza, especially if there is some nasal drainage and rattly breathing. You need to get the gunky material out of the eye,so that you can apply some Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin ointment into the eye twice a day. If there are respiratory symptoms, then you will need to use some oral antibiotics such as Tylan or even Sulmet if if coulkd be coryza. Testing wojld be theonly way to tell. Can you post a picture of the eye?

3. Pattercorn11

Aug 10, 2015
    Texas
    [​IMG]

Thank you. She doesn't seem to have any respiratory issues or an odor. I'll try to get that gunk out more. It's no easy task! Haha! Poor thing!

4. Pattercorn11

Aug 10, 2015
    Texas
    Ok so I went out and tried to use a warm compress and get some of the yellow stuff out. I was only able to get a little out. And there IS a smell. I rubbed some Terramycin in it...hoping it actually got contact with the eye. But there is a lot of yellow gunk.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may take tweezers or a manicure tool and cotton to get the yellow pus out since it tends to harden. Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet is used to treat symptoms of coryza, and Tylan can be used along with it to help prevent secondary infections, such as air sacculitis. Many people choose to cull chickens with coryza, since that disease tends to be chronic and chickens are carriers for life. Of course, that is a personal choice. Testing can confirm what it is, or you can get a necropsy done by the state vet to confirm it. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! That sort of pus is hard to get out and like Eggcessive said, might be best to use tweezers and/or a manicure tool.

-Kathy

7. Pattercorn11

Aug 10, 2015
    Texas
    Thank you for this tips! I'll keep working at it and if no luck I might cull her. It's harder since I paid quite a bit for her! But I also don't want the rest to get it!

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Before you cull her, if that's what you decide, try squeezing it like you would with a big pimple and that might be enough to pop it out.

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    FWIW, I had a chick with something like that. It was happy and healthy in all other ways, but I treated him with antibiotics anyway... Zero change. Then I did the pimple thing and out came the blob. Being the way I am I had to cut it of and in the middle of it was a foreign body. So I guess his immune system reacted by encapsulated it with the pus. I guess what I'm trying to say is that not all these eye problems are respiratory disease, so it's definitely worth trying to get it out.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by