Infection or tumor??

wleigh1021

Songster
5 Years
Jan 16, 2016
New Jersey
I just noticed 2 huge growths on my pullet. She is still walking fine and eating and drinking but these things are HUGE I feel so bad for her. A hawk attacked my chickens on Friday and killed one. Possible this is an infection from the attack? Growth in picture is on shoulder of wing. Another huge growth on her leg as well. Feels warm, swollen, and crusty. I am going to give her tylan and spray and wrap with antibiotics for now. If you think this could be something else please let me know!

Attachments

• 20190110_204324.jpg
    20190110_204324.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 53
Sorry for your situation.
You’ll need to clean that up. We can’t tell much from that photo. To guess...it looks like a old wound something that’s been there awhile. Can’t judge the location of the wound either. Is that her back?
If she were mine I’d start by getting scissors and trimming all the feathers away. We have no idea of the size. Trim the feathers take a few more pictures from different angles. Then go look for first aid items and let us know what you’ve got to work with.

Sounds like an infection more than a tumor if it's balling up thete may be fluid that needs draining as well try to keep her off that leg, make a sling if you can and try some CBD oil to ease their pain, of course keep the area clean and if you can vet because it sounds very painful and serious.

Unfortunately there are no vets near me that see chickens. I did have tylan 50 on hand so I gave her an injection. She is in the garage in a small dog crate with food and water. I cleaned both wounds with vetericyn and applied antibiotic cream (no pain reliever). I don't have a tub large enough to submerge her wing but I can soak a towel with hot water and Epsom salts and apply that if it will help.
I checked everyone after the hawk attack and saw no injuries. I can't believe I missed this!

Looking at this it looks like an old wound that might be able to just be cleaned and monitored and go away i I would keep soaking and cleaning and wrap it and air it out now and then for a week or two and check progress it should be getting better by then

Back
Top Bottom