Infection

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jabbok, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Jabbok

Jabbok Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    My hen ripped her toenail the other day (Saturday or Sunday) and I noticed a couple days ago that her toe was really nasty, so she is currently in the basement getting her foot soaked a couple times a day and we're treating it with peroxide and triple antibiotic ointment and I'm bandaging it. She has been running a fever and wasn't eating or drinking much in the coop, so that's why she's currently in the basement living in a nice sized box. I'm making sure she eats and drinks often. I feel so bad for her - her name is Eisenhower (obviously named before we knew she was a hen - by my son). [​IMG]

Anyway, I was wondering if I should give her any medication for her fever and, if so, what should that be?

I wanted to add a picture, but can't seem to figure out how.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Give her baby aspirin for the pain and reduce swelling. If you don't have baby aspirin just give 1/4 of adult. real aspirin, not tylenol or aleve.... Peroxide is not very effective. Just wash with soap and water, let it dry up to form a scab.
    If she needs encouragement to eat fix her scrambled eggs and yogurt or cottage cheese mixed in. Sugar in water helps them also.. good luck and I do like her name!

Oh to post pic. I download on photobucket. then go to last img. code under pic. and click on it to copy. go to forum and post reply. I have an I mac so I just go to edit and hit paste. you can preview to be sure it took.

3. Jabbok

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
  4. Jabbok

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    The aspirin seems to help her to feel better. She's still in the basement trying to get better. Her toe is cleaned up, but pretty swollen still. She's doing ok though. Still a little fevered, but I think she'll eventually be just fine. Now to get rid of 3 rooster. . .

5. Jabbok

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    The aspirin seems to help her to feel better. She's still in the basement trying to get better. Her toe is cleaned up, but pretty swollen still. She's doing ok though. Still a little fevered, but I think she'll eventually be just fine. Now to get rid of 3 rooster. . .

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Peroxide can be very irritating to the tissues.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by