Infectious Bronchitis Virus!!! Anyone have any success or is my flock doomed?

dkosh

Songster
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Eastern MA
I've lost a few hens over the last week and then noticed coughing and sneezing. Before I knew it I had an out-break of bronchitis. I've treated with VetRx and everyone is in lock-down for humidifier treatment. Has anyone had this run through their flock and what was the outcome? I'm so down. I've gone from 15 dozen eggs a day to 3 maybe 4 dozen.

Are you sure you're dealing with IB? There arnt any treatments for IB and VetRx is useless. One of the telltale signs of IB are wrinkled eggs and watery whites. There are other diseases that could be similar such as MG or coryza. Here's a link for you to read about IB, MG, coryza and other diseases. A necropsy could determine the disease your birds have. You can contact your local extension office or state department of agriculture on how to go about accomplishing this.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

I'm fairly positive it was IB. Once it started it swept through them all within 3 days. I've had wrinkly eggs and watery whites just before the big out-break. I know VetRx is only probably making me feel better by trying to do something. It has been 1 1/2 weeks and I only lost 6 hens but my egg production has not returned at all. I have 125 hens that were just about to start laying and should've started a few weeks ago. I'm afraid they may have become "false layers". Does anyone know how long it will take for increased egg production. I've gone from 15 dz down to 2 dz. I don't want to cull them all and start over but I also don't want to be feeding them and not have them pay for themselves. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm fairly positive it was IB. Once it started it swept through them all within 3 days. I've had wrinkly eggs and watery whites just before the big out-break. I know VetRx is only probably making me feel better by trying to do something. It has been 1 1/2 weeks and I only lost 6 hens but my egg production has not returned at all. I have 125 hens that were just about to start laying and should've started a few weeks ago. I'm afraid they may have become "false layers". Does anyone know how long it will take for increased egg production. I've gone from 15 dz down to 2 dz. I don't want to cull them all and start over but I also don't want to be feeding them and not have them pay for themselves. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Did you read the link in my previous post concerning IB? It'll tell you when your birds should recover and start producing eggs.

Thank you Dawg53. I did find that site and another from Mississippi State University that said the same thing, that it will take 4-5 wks for them to start producing again. I also have been finding other websites like this one http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/infectious-bronchitis/ stating "Four weeks or more may be required before the flock returns to production. Some flocks never regain an economical rate of lay." There was another website with great information http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/D9313.PDF

This is what I'm worried about... I'm a small disabled farmer with limited income. It sounds awful but I was wondering if anyone's flock has recovered enough to make it financially reasonable to keep the flock or should I cut my losses and start over. I'm worried for that reason. The chickens use to pay for their grain and other needs and give me some extra $$, now I'm afraid if they don't go back to the way they produced in the past am I going to have to take $$ away from my family to feed them. 4-5 weeks without production is a huge deal for me. If that sounds awful I appologize.

I am pretty sure I had IB about 4 week ago. Sneezing, rattling breathing noices, a few with symptoms, some without. My rooster was sneezing and wheezing. My hens stopped laying within the week, and now four weeks later, I have one or two out of 8 that are laying. Should I cull them all now, since there are only one or two that has produced a tiny little egg once or twice? I had shell less eggs, only egg yolks laid and a few other deformed in the four week.
I am planning on slaughtering them on Monday, unless I get convincing hope that they will start up again on week 6. They have perfect feed and water, and nice green meadows, so there are no other explanations. I have treated early against red mite with powerful veterinary product.

Hen mama,
Catharina

Back
Top Bottom