Infectious Bronchitis-wrinkled eggs, safe to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by midnightblue69, May 21, 2010.

1. midnightblue69

midnightblue69 New Egg

Nov 2, 2009
    I have been getting one wrinkled egg almost every day out of my 9 hen RIR flock. After much reading it appears the likely cause is Infectious Bronchitis. Are these eggs safe to eat? Are the other's egss safe to eat? Is it contagious to people in any way? Also I occasionally see a brown spec in the egg white. Is this normal and is it indicative of anything.

Thanks everyone, y'all are always the best!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

If I get a wrinkled egg yolk, I toss it aside & get another. I eat the rest & still old & gimpy, like normal.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

4. midnightblue69

midnightblue69 New Egg

Nov 2, 2009
    Thank you for the informative link Kathy!, however it doesn't state whether there is any danger in consuming the eggs.

5. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I noticed that, too. I guess one would have to assume that, with all the detail it did provide, it would have mentioned if consumption were unsafe!

Are you sure that's what they have? Sounds bad. [​IMG]

ETA - Pondering it, I might be reluctant to eat them anyway [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  6. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

A friend of mine had to cull her flock due to IB. The vet said the birds were safe to eat, so I guess the eggs would be as well.
    Since IB is highly contagious, (so I have been told), the wrinkled eggs may be from another cause. I have read that sometimes an egg will bump into the next one and cause a wrinkle.

7. midnightblue69

midnightblue69 New Egg

Nov 2, 2009
    I don't know for sure that it is IB causing the wrinkled eggs however from my research, it is the most likely cause. They look more than bumped in to, they are significanty wrinkled all over. None of them appear sick, I guess I'll just keep watching.

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    are the whites watery too? Sounds like IB to me. Eggs are perfectly safe to eat, but you may wish to consider having a closed flock now if you don't already as your birds will now be carriers of the disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by