Infectious Bronchitis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WildfireJane, Jan 23, 2009.

1. WildfireJane

WildfireJane Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I think my whole flock has Infectious Bronchitis. Is there a treatment for this or do I have to cull my whole flock and start all over?

2. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    The question would be what are the odds of recovery with treatment, how much is treatment, and ow much are you willing to spend on treating your whole flock.

I's be interested in the answer to this one as well. When is it in the best interest of the birds to cull vs. cure?

3. WildfireJane

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    Well, if it were only that easy... they don't look sick, they are laying real well considering the bitter temps here in Michigan, one will cough or sneeze once in a great while. Then I have to ask, since they are doing great laying, all the expense so far into them. Will I really regret culling them afterwards? It would be very simple if they looked like they were suffering. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Can't tell you what to do about IB, cull or treat. My policy is to cull for anything respiratory, though I havent had to do that so far. Here is a good article that may help you decide:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/ib.htm

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    it could just be reaction to dust and dander from being in the coop alot in bad weather.
    shagbarks has good articles about Oxine, etc..

6. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I don't think I would cull the entire flock unless you are breeding special chickens and need the space. As long as they are not suffering, and if you just have them for eggs and they are laying, maybe it would be worth your while to wait it out. If they all get terribly sick, cull and start over, and if it's just weather-change sniffles, you will not regret it.
    Good luck!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Why do you think they have IB? If its just sneezing, that can be environmental, nothing serious. So many diseases have similar symptoms, too. What other symptoms do they have?

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    IB typically causes decreases in egg production and doesn't sound like that is an issue for you. Maybe it's just normal sneezes from dust or food stuff.

9. WildfireJane

Sep 21, 2008
    Mt. Morris, MI
    The only reason I thought it was IB is a cough or sneeze once in a great while, and sometimes an egg has a rough shell. I've slept on my decision and have decided to wait and see. They are just my backyard flock. Not going to any shows etc. and I try to be as bio-secure as possible. [​IMG] Thanks for your suggestions Jane > the worry wort

10. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    I think birds can be tested for IB. You might want to call your state vet to find out about this. Then you would know for sure. I also think they can be vaccinated for IB. I'm not any kind of expert on any of this, though.

I don't have a good state vet contact in my tiny state, and I don't have any nearby vet who knows about or will see chickens. So when I am stumped I call Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply (google it, he has a website). He knows a lot about keeping birds healthy, vaccinating birds, treating birds etc. I think you have to pay for a phone consultation if you don't buy anything nowadays, but he also has a little forum of his own where he answers questions.

I wouldn't cull unless I knew there was an issue - occasional sneezes can be caused by many things, including a spot of moldy litter or litter that's dusty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by