Infectious Coryza aftermath?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HappeHank, Oct 13, 2013.

1. HappeHank

HappeHank Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Melrose, Fl
    Due to an infection of coryza, I had to cully entire flock. I've been reading on cleaning and sanitizing and waiting a long while before occupying the coop again. My run is an open style coop/run and they were free range chickens, so how do I go about sanitizing my yard? I culled them all and I burnt their bodies. The coop floor is made out of concrete. I've cleaned the coop but I want to thoroughly make sure everything has been cleaned before I add any new chickens. I'm not going to get new biddies until mid February and then about another month in the brooder before put into the clean and sanitized coop. So it would be about 5 months before its occupied again. I live in Florida, some days in the so Ted can have pretty hard freezes , would that help with the sanitizing? I need suggestions to get the coop cleaned, sanitized and up and running again. The only thing I'm keeping from the old coop is the feeder. That a good idea?

2. HappeHank

HappeHank Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2013
    Melrose, Fl
    In the winter, not the so Ted. Sorry

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    According to the American Peafowl Association; a maximum of 60 days is recommended after sanitizing everything (including feeder) due to depopulation with coryza. Sunlight should take care of your yard. Mid February...you should be good to go getting new birds. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by