infectious coryza again??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TherryChicken, Aug 27, 2014.

1. TherryChicken

TherryChicken Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    What do you think? I also have other chickens sneezing..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

she has some gunk in her eye that is bubbly

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    To me, that looks like possibly Fowl Pox. It could be a combination of a respiratory disease and Fowl Pox, as Fowl Pox can weaken the immune system, allowing entrance of another disease.

You can help the scabs dry up and go away by dabbing iodine on them. As long as your bird doesn't develop the wet form (which it may actually have right now- look in the throat for a cheesy substance), the pox should clear up on its own in 4-6 weeks. The wet form is more serious and can have complications such as respiratory symptoms.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Wyandottes7 in that it looks like your birds have Fowl Pox, possibly in combination with a respiratory disease (Coryza, Infectious Bronchitis, etc.). There is no real treatment for fowl pox; most birds recover on their own. The fowl pox lesions/scabs (if that is what they are) should dry up and heal within 2-6 weeks.

The respiratory disease is more serious. Antibiotics, like Tylan50, will help if it is a bacterial disease, but they won't do anything for a viral problem. Many birds with respiratory diseases remain carriers after they are infected, too, and will continue to be able to spread the disease throughout their lives. I would try treating your flock with antibiotics, but if those don't work, it might be best to cull and start over.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  4. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ok sounds good.

5. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    So fowl pox, just let it run its course, delt with that before, no big deal. Now buy antibiotics again for uri. We have a type of fungus in the ground, which we believe is from burried pets from in the past. So I think we will have to build a flooring in our coop and get them off ground period. Will this help keep them from getting sick?

6. TherryChicken

Sep 16, 2012
    del valle, tx
    Ok this pullet is extraordinarily sleepy and sluggish. Wont open her eyes even when I make weird noises.. any ideas? They were one benadryl (childrens) a few days ago, but now they are on antibiotic for uri
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by