Infectious Coryza and chickens, Its like a severe cold.

Rockyriver

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
N.C.
The symptoms are one, a few, or all. Swollen Eyes, Open mouth breathing, Bubbles in the corners of the eyes, Pale face, Sneezing and coughing and gasping ,Runny nose, Loss of appetite and not drinking water , Not laying eggs regularly as before ,And the surefire last symptom that is a giveaway they have Infectious Coryza is a putrid smell coming from the nasal passages. Once the chicken has this disease and is cured, that chicken never gets it again but they are still a carrier for life to give it to other chickens that have never had it. Don't waste your money on antibiotics that are used in drinking water, or Sulmet. Bytril (enrofloxicin) may be used but is vet controlled and very expensive. The best way to fight this infection on the upper respiratory system is by using Tylan 200. This is an injectable medication. It is found at Tractor Supply or about any feed and grain type stores, for about $32 for a large bottle that will treat many a many chickens. Once the chicken gets the Infectious Coryza give it 3/4 of a CC shot injected directly into the breast of the chicken, and be careful not to use a too long a needle that can get into the internal organs (Use common sense). If symptoms do not improve in four days give another shot. This is what I do and it works best for me, YMMV.

Remember this is a treatment for a sick bird and not a vaccine.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the pictures. Is Tylan 200 the same as Tylan 50 - just more concentrated? Also, I find it interesting that you were able to get needles and syringes from Tractor Supply. My local Tractor Supply doesn't sell them. I wonder if it's a state law whether or not needles and syringes can be sold over the counter.

Our TSC sells needles and syringes... but we sell lots of stuff here in TX that is controlled in other states, except for rabies... Tx says NO, vets only on rabies!

- Good info, thanks for the tip!

Quote: Actually, they are never cured, only symptoms alleviated. That's what "carrier" means. And they can have a relapse of symptoms when under stress. That is why experienced chicken keepers and breeders euthanize birds infected with contagious respiratory illness.

Agreed that if you are going to treat anything respiratory rather than cull, don't waste your money on stuff like Terramycin.

Last edited:
Actually, they are never cured, only symptoms alleviated. That's what "carrier" means. And they can have a relapse of symptoms when under stress. That is why experienced chicken keepers and breeders euthanize birds infected with contagious respiratory illness.

Agreed that if you are going to treat anything respiratory rather than cull, don't waste your money on stuff like Terramycin.
x2.
"Give an antibiotic,
Weaken the flock".

i gave up on even thinking about anti biotics a long time ago.

I had seven healthy hens, then I bought seven more from a different person. I had to cull one because it stank so bad I'm sure this is the disease it had. Now five more hens have bubbly watery eyes and the smell is low but there. Someone just tell me I need to cull them all and start over? I have 25 baby chicks so I would rather start over than expose them. How long does this disease stay around in the barn and in the yard for if I cull them all? Can I cull all my chickens and put the chicks in the same coop in a month or so?

I posted this on another tread but thought it would follow this thread better.

Well, like always I learn on my own through life consuming research. One person here PM me with advise, thanks Dawg53. I know what I need to do so if anyone else has this problem let me know and I'll help. Without going into detail, basically there are two point blank options:

First option, you could go the medical route. Treat all sick birds (antibiotics and vaccines). Since all "cured" birds are still carriers their whole life means every bird or new bird introduced to the flock will get sick and be carriers. The only thing that is "cured" are symptoms and they will return if medication is not kept on schedule, it is not a one time thing. If you sell a healthy looking bird that has been introduced to Infectious Coryza then it can and probably will infect the unsuspecting buyers flock. If you have a small flock and never plan on selling or giving birds away then this may be the way for you. You can keep spending money on the medications throughout the years and keep your birds symptoms under control but they remain sick and carriers, that's the point blank part. All new birds introduced will become carriers and need the same medical control as the existing flock has had. Keep in mind egg production will be lower than normal birds and if you live near or visit other farmers you take risk of infecting their flock as well. Also, some medications given means you cannot eat the bird or eggs from the bird medicated. Sick birds showing symptoms will make your coop smell very bad, like rotting meat.

Second option, cull entire flock and disinfect everything. This is the option I went after many countless hours of research. Cull entire flock, clean everything they have came in contact with. Ground, waterers, feeders, walls, perches, nesting boxes, everything. Then disinfect, cleaning and disinfecting are different. Clean then disinfect. Leave the premises uninhabited and equipment unused for 60 days or more. Be sure to wear protective equipment with the disinfectant you choose. Start over with birds either you hatched or raised as chicks from a well known supplier.

I choose this route because I sell birds and cannot sell sick birds to my local farmers. I responded to my own thread b/c I don't think anyone has put it this simple, two options. That's it. Keep an infected flock or start over. All my questions that were answered in the last few weeks have been like "well you could do this or you can do that", "Medicate sick birds and watch the others for a while." Some were more far fetched than these. I hope this clears it up for you if you have been searching, I know I left out a lot of details about the disease but I'm more focused here on the solution.

I saw a thread about this disease here a few days ago, one reply quoted something like "any good farmer would cure a sick or injured animal rather than cull." The person were hammering another replier that was recommending culling. This person would be more on the right thought process if it would had said "A farmer will do anything it takes to protect his livestock and livelihood." This means if I have to poison or trap coyotes, foxes, raccoons, and other predators then I will, and yes with a conscience but also knowing I did what I had to do. I love hawks but not sitting on top of my broody buff orpington, they will get the target load like shooting skeet, sorry I guess. If culling twenty birds or even more means it will save the next several hundred or thousand they are gone. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me or respond and I'll help where I can. I'm not a professional veterinarian but a farmer that will never get his time back on learning about this disease.

To the ones that want to answer, you had your time, this is the answer. For the ones that contradict culling, I don't knock your option so don't knock mine, you and your neighbors enjoy your sick flock.

You don't have to wait 60+ days the bacterium only survives 3 to 5 days outside the chicken. At most 2 to 3 weeks to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom