Infectious Coryza?? Has anyone ever dealt with this before??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thewickedloki, Dec 25, 2011.

1. thewickedloki

thewickedloki New Egg

Dec 25, 2011
    I believe my flock has Infectious Coryza?? I have lost half of my flock already :'(
    I bought 6 chicks from a feed store and 3 days later they looked like they were dying so I didn't really pay to much attention to it (now im hitting my head against the wall cause I should of) BUT now my whole flock has it and in the last week I have lost half of them. I have read a whole bunch of things and it sounds like infectious coryza. Out of those 6 that I bought 2 have died. I am giving them duramycin -10 im on day 3 and i have lost 3 baby chicks and 1 adult...

Has anyone ever had this before? and lived to tell about it?
    I could really use some help.. I don't want the rest to die

2. Yes you can make it through it. With the # of birds you have versus the # you have lost and the # you know are exhibiting signs though is going to be costly to save only a couple birds. Then they will always be carriers / shedders.

SO here it is straight:

Cull the whole flock, completely clean the coop and all equipment (every single thing that ever touched the coop including rakes etc.) top to bottom. Disinfect everything that you cleaned with 1 cup bleach to 3 cups water after it is dry from the 1st cleaning. This two step approach is important. Let the coop air out a good week before bringing in new bedding and chicks. Plan out a quarantine area that you can hold new stock for at least a week before introducing them to any current stock in the future. Consider adding Oxine to water in the future, consider fogging coop with oxine once a week as a preventive in the future.

3. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    The advice given is the best. I would follow what is said.

Also, if you are using Duramycin in the water then you are wasting your time. It is useless. Injectible Duramycin is better but Liquimycin or Noromycin (injectible is what you want to use in the future).

If you can move your chicken house/yard after disinfecting it you'll be better off.

4. thewickedloki

thewickedloki New Egg

Dec 25, 2011
    thank you! I have about 32 altogether still alive and i have lost about 9 so far and 4 look really sick. Im going to take your advice to heart! and go do it now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by