Infectious Coryza--help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ilovemyladies!, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Ilovemyladies!

Ilovemyladies! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    My flock has been attacked by this disease for about 6 months(killing one and infecting 2). I have 16 chickens. And one was sick last month but she is fine now BUT she gave it to our rooster yesterday. I have used antibiotics in water and VetRx under wings ever since it has begun. But it hasn't really helped. I have been reading about it online and they say the only way to get rid of it entirely is culling all and dis-infecting the coop. I don't want to cull all of them but I don't want them to suffer [​IMG] And how should I cull them and how do I dispose their bodies afterwards?? I need some help!!!!! [​IMG]

-Shannon [​IMG]

2. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    The sick ones have been coughing, discharge from eyes, and droopy tails.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    From what I understand is that you need to cull the flock. Someone else should be able to tell you how long to wait before reintroducing more chickens back into your coop and run. I am very sorry that there isn't a better answer to this problem. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can use a .22, one shot to the head. It's the easiest, quickest, and painless way to cull....bury them deep in the ground far away from your coops/pens or incinerate them in a pit or burn barrel, use gasoline.

5. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    That's what I thought but wouldn't it be useless to kill the healthy, remaining chickens??
    I don't wanna cull..........but I don't want to let them suffer........

-Shannon [​IMG]

6. FLURRYOFTEXAS

FLURRYOFTEXAS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    texas
    My Rooster was infected and I isolated him and treated him with Vet Rx and gave him pinicilin for 5 nights he is now doing alot better. I also treated the rest of my flock with pinicilin.

7. Ilovemyladies!

Jul 10, 2011
    Hills of Kentucky
    I decided not to cull & not get anymore chickens. Thanks for the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by