Infectious coryza

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KendallMetz, Apr 5, 2018.

1. KendallMetz

KendallMetz In the Brooder

May 3, 2017
    getting really tired of all this respiratory diseases. I’ve had these birds for months. Kept them in quarantine for 60 days and give them monthly respiratory preventative. However, one of my Silkies has come down with what I believe is infectious coryza.

She had a plugged nare for about 2 weeks. I continually treated trying to get it out. It never smelled and nothing else was wrong. I ruled out everything especially since she would have shown respiratory symtoms the next few days.

But now, 2 weeks later, she barely moves and her eyes have bubbles all around them with shaving stuck in them. She also smells BAD. So most likely coryza.

I separated her but I guess everyone else is going to get it now even though they havnt shown symtoms yet.

How do I go on from here? She won’t eat, drink (I forced some water with medicine in it) and is just terrible.

Note: I know how coryza usually starts and I’ve kept their coop CLEAN. We have plenty of ventilation and they have not gone out much because of rain. I just don’t know how they got it even when I give monthly preventative (she showed no signs when I first started it)

Attached Files:

2. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
    Edit: I just checked the inside of her mouth. I guess she has canker also. I had checked her mouth a couple days ago and nothing was in there but now there is the cheese like stuff. Would that be the cause of the eye bubbles also?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    KendallMetz likes this.
  4. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Yes it's possible, sinus has nowhere to drain except out the eyes. Canker is a killer. It can spread and infect the crop and esophagus, block the trachea causing suffocation. Also starvation/thirst due to blocked esophagus.
    You need to treat it hard and fast. It is contageous and birds are carriers.

KikisGirls and KendallMetz like this.
  6. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
    Is there anywhere not online to get it? I want to get it as fast as possible. And birds are carriers for life after?

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    You can go to your local veterinarian and explain the situation and hopefully you'll be able to get some. Another name for metronidazole is flagyl, that's the name vets like to use. It's the same meds. Get 7 tablets, no more than that. Good luck.
    Yes, birds are carriers for life.
    To keep canker in check, you can purchase copper sulfate. Dosage is 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water once a month for 3 days straight. Do not use more than the dose recommended, it can burn them internally.
    https://www.jefferspet.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-1

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    KikisGirls and KendallMetz like this.
  8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  9. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Yes.

ALL of your birds have already been exposed.
    I wish you luck.

10. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
    Will it pass onto their eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: