Infectious coryza?

Austinbrooks

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 2, 2014
I have an amerucana hen who has today has got some bubbles in her eyes. I know that its a symptom of infectious coryza, but she is acting fine and breathing normal. The thing is, I had two chickens about a month ago that had coryza, and I put them both down. I cleaned out the whole coop with bleach and cleaned the run. The bacteria is only suppose to survive outside the body a few days. I spray the poop out of the coop everyday (occasionly forget one day) and there run is pretty clean. They aren't crowded at all, theres only 3 of them and they roam outside the run a lot anyway. Does my hen have it, could it be something else? I am tired of this stupid diaese killing my birds, please get back to me. Thank you for your time

I have an amerucana hen who has today has got some bubbles in her eyes. I know that its a symptom of infectious coryza, but she is acting fine and breathing normal. The thing is, I had two chickens about a month ago that had coryza, and I put them both down. I cleaned out the whole coop with bleach and cleaned the run. The bacteria is only suppose to survive outside the body a few days. I spray the poop out of the coop everyday (occasionly forget one day) and there run is pretty clean. They aren't crowded at all, theres only 3 of them and they roam outside the run a lot anyway. Does my hen have it, could it be something else? I am tired of this stupid diaese killing my birds, please get back to me. Thank you for your time

You suspect coryza but didnt mention if there's a foul odor around the head area which is indicative of coryza. It's possible you could be dealing with mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) The symptoms you've described (bubbly eyes) sound like MG. Surviving birds are carriers of MG and the bacteria can only survive in the environment for 3 days....IF there has been total depopulation.

Last edited:
I did some research and i think you may be right, my chickens never had the foul smell but defiantly had some respiratory illness. I think my rooster may have it too. Do you think I should just put down the chickens, disinfect and start over?

Back
Top Bottom