Infectious diseases

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bauere04, Jul 31, 2014.

1. bauere04

bauere04 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Flock of 30 or so birds
    One two year old, everyone else 1-4 months
    All npip birds and hatching eggs
    SONEONE came in with something, slowly everyone gets sick.
    I'm waiting on blood pathology.
    My six olive eggers just came up pathetic
    How do I keep everyone alive long enough for the pathology report

2. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    I would go out to tractor supply and buy Corid and oxytetracyclin antibiotic and mix both together in their water every day for 5 days to a week. I know some people would disagree with the shotgun approach, but if your chickens are dying off fast then you have to weigh your options. Once chickens show signs of an illness they tend to go down within hours. The meds won't help at all if you are dealing with a virus... but there isn't much you can do in that case anyway. It's good that you are trying to find the specific cause, but if it is going to take too long for answers then maybe it won't hurt to treat for common illnesses before the whole flock is compromised.

3. bauere04

bauere04 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Nothing local sells oxy
    I have durvet and sulmet and corid. Everyone has been treated with corid. I could treat them again?

4. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    How long have you been treating with corid? needs at least 5 days in a row to be fully effective, but you should see some improvement sooner. If it is mixed with water make sure they get a fresh batch every 24 hours as well. Also rake out the run and give the coop a cleaning since the oocysts from the protozoa hanging around in the poop and dirt can reinfect.

Durvet is wormer correct? I would not worm them unless there is reason to believe they need it. Could be too hard on their systems while they are so sick. at 1-4 months old I seriously doubt there is a severe worm problem making them sick as a lot of people do not even worm their chickens for the first time until at least 6 months old.

Unless it is a state law thing, I am surprised nowhere local sells antibiotics but you were able to find the Corid. Basically, any broad spectrum antibiotic will do. Usually a Southern states or tractor supply will have a antibiotic available for cows/goats that will work just fine for chickens once you get the dosing figured out. The brand name might say many things other than oxytetracyclin, duramycin is one I have seen (used for goats I think?) but it is still a tetracycline antibiotic and will work just the same. You may even be able to get a tetracycline antibiotic at walmart if they have a fish section but I would have no idea about dosage. You could also ask a vet if they would prescribe a basic antibiotic given the situation, it might be slightly more expensive but antibiotics are dirt cheap anyway.

5. bauere04

bauere04 New Egg

Feb 23, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Corid for seven days. Durvet is tetracycline :)
    Most were treated with that too (I've been fighting this a while) ill try it again just for kicks I guess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by