Infectious Laryngotracheitis? Could it be? What to do to treat it?

theron

Theron's Fowl Farm
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Midland, MI
One of my silkies has a runny eye. I have been keeping her away from the rest of the birds and with heat. I've also put electrolytes in her water. What else can do? She has been eating too so thats good.

Last edited:
I looked up the symptoms on google and this is what it looks related to. What do I use to treat it?

There are lots of things that can cause eye problems, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on this one symptom! If you have saline solution or a human eyewash you can start by rinsing her eye with that a couple of times per day. The electrolytes are a good idea in my opinion no matter what it is!

I hope she's OK!

She is also shaking her head alot and it looks like she is trying to crow or yawn. I was also thinking it could be gapeworm?

This advice was given to me when I suspected a chicken of having gapeworms - To check for certain for gapeworm, my vet showed me this: Put her in your lap, take a Q-tip and gently open her beak, holding it open with one hand. Take the Q-tip and gently put it down her throad, TWIRLING AS YOU GO DOWN - you don't have to go far. Twirl as you bring it back up, and if she's got gapeworm, you'll see thin, red strings on the q-tip.

I am guessing that it is probably something respiratory since she also has the eye thing going on. I don't think gape worms would cause that.

Back
Top Bottom