Infectious Laryngotracheitis is in my flock. 1 death so far

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ih66series, May 20, 2011.

1. ih66series

ih66series Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    So, by bringing in a new rooster about 3 months ago, I introduced the lethal disease of Infectious Laryngotracheitis. One of my Barred rocks died and all but the rooster and 1 Ameracauna have shown symtoms or almost died. I had an autopsy done by Penn State and they determined this. They are all on antibiotics. They have all but stopped laying and won't start again for 4-6 weeks. I am pretty ticked off about this whole thing. My flock will surive but will be missing several birds most likely and will be carriers for life. READ ABOUT THIS DISEASE HERE AND SAVE YOUR FLOCK!! http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Im so sorry. I wonder if the owner of the roo knew about it or if it was brought in some other way. Did you seperate for a month? I think the even if you seperate stuff still shows up down the line. Good luck and hang in there.
    Quote:

3. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    The place I got the rooster from did not have any other chickens besides him. That was not his original home, though. I did not seperate him for a month. I just lost my second hen today. She was an Ameracauna and it looks like a Rhode Island Red is on her way to the same fate.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am so sorry for all your losses.

[​IMG]

5. FoodKillah

FoodKillah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Mediterranean Sea
    what a disaster, any thoughts of renewing your whole flock?

6. ih66series

Jan 26, 2011
    Altoona, PA
    I've thought about it. I don't know if it's worth it. The hens are only 9 months old!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by