1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Infectious laryngotracheitis.......what happens to the flock??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamband, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    If my flock is infected with this what happens as far as the survivors? I have read that the rest are carriers for life? Would that mean no breeding of these guys? I would not want to sell infected chicks or continue to expose new chickens to the disease if thats the case?

I would appreciate any info

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You cannot breed them, no. I believe in some states, depopulation is required. It's a nasty disease, highly contagious.

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    so culling the flock is the answer here? very sad if it is

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    I also have 3 ducks about to go outside........they haven't been in contact with the chickens........are they likely at risk?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You know, I don't know all the answers about ILT. It's not transmissible through the egg (called vertical transmission) if I remember correctly, but when I say you can't breed them, I'm saying they are carriers and the potential for contamination is there, by germs getting on the eggs, etc. pips & peeps (Jean) is one who can tell you about ILT because there have been large outbreaks in Washington state and she is familiar with the ins and outs of the disease more so than I am. There is a vaccination, yes, but I really don't know that much about it. Me, I'd cull for far less than ILT. It's a herpes virus, so stays in the body of the bird forever.

Here is the Merck Veterinary Manual article on the disease:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206700.htm

And a very easy to read article as well by a vet in NC:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/poulsci/tech_manuals/laryngotracheitis.pdf

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    is jean a member on here? Yeah I am a bit worried about the whole thing. I have read the vaccine makes them active carriers as well so they cant be around other birds. I want to be able to sell baby chicks etc so birds with a disease are not really a good thing.

Is there an inexpensive way to to be sure that what they have? a test or what not?

I guess worst comes to worst I have lots of chicken to eat.

Thanks

7. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    can i keep my ducks safe by not allowing interaction or are they at risk because of it being on the property already?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by