infectious synovitis (MS) - do you think I diagnosed correctly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annabananabodanna, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Annabananabodanna

Annabananabodanna Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Boise, ID
    Hello, I have a 6 month old Barred Rock and she suddenly went lame, then got better then lame again only a couple weeks later, this time worse. She can't stand up or walk although she can flap her wings from a seated position. She doesn't seem to have any control over her feet and legs. She looks either like a stroke victim or a very drunken sailor in human terms. ;-> I don't see any swollen joints, but she does seem to have fluid filled cysts on her breasts below the skin, which will deflate if I massage them. Her stool is normal, clear eyes, fine appetite, not gaining weight as fast as the others. Her flock mates (3 others) are fine. None have started laying. I started her on the antibiotic I got in the feed store yesterday and making sure she is drinking via an eye dropper. (per the info I got on the disease site from BYC) so hoping that will work. Today she is wheezing a bit. But, just in case I'm going down the wrong road thought I would put it out there. Any help or advise is appreciated!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    It's really tough to confirm MS without blood work. MS is contagious and will typically run through a flock. Stroke would show these symptoms as well as nervous disorders and toxin ingestion.

3. Annabananabodanna

Annabananabodanna Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Boise, ID
    thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by