Infertile Araucana

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ace_king_brahma, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    I bought 5 araucana bantams and recieved a free cockerel and now as of this morning our farm owns 9. Three babies are now growing in my brooder. One that looks like a possible red pyle, a tannish one that might be gold duckwing and this morning a blue baby.

I was concerned Indigo my only blue araucana was infertile. Every other egg I've collected showed no sign of developing and since the first egg laid by Indigo was a clear after a week of incubation I figured she was infertile. But since she now has a blue baby I have to wonder about Willow my white arau hen. The father is Romeo and he is gold duckwing. And since a chick seems to be a red pyle I think Juliet is in the clear as well.

I've been having the devil of a time trying to figure out which hen it might be. I can't be sure still until the chick grows out if it really is a red pyle or a white. And the girls usually lay when I'm at work and it's been just luck that I caught Indigo laying the first egg.

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Chickens are like people, they don't hit a home run every time.

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I guess the only way to really be sure is to trap nest or seperate each hen and do an egg count.

-Kim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by