1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

INFERTILE EGGS??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

So I spent a small fortune on my Sebastopol eggs. I
    "shopped" around for quite a while before deciding on where to get them. I got 5 of them.

Last night was the fifth day in the incubator. I've had some funky temp. spikes (up to 103.2) degrees....so I was worried the embryos may have baked.

I candled the chicken eggs last night & I have a few that shows signs of early death & others that I can definately see veins in....

Anyway, I candled my goose eggs last night & they are COMPLETELY CLEAR! NO veins, no blobs, no air sacs, NOTHING.

Does this mean I was shipped infertile eggs??

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I hope to have more eggs next week.....

Also give the eggs a couple more days and check them again. I put six in last week and five of them are developing.

I am getting two eggs every other day right now. One from a yearling goose and one from an older experienced breeder. Most of the eggs in the incubator are from the yearling. The first one was not fertile from her and the rest seem to be doing ok, granted the egg is a little smaller, but I have a baby now.

I have put in ten eggs (another four yesterday) and two have not been fertile and one died about half way into incubation, so I think I have had pretty good fertility.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

pips&peeps :

I hope to have more eggs next week.....

Also give the eggs a couple more days and check them again. I put six in last week and five of them are developing.

I am getting two eggs every other day right now. One from a yearling goose and one from an older experienced breeder. Most of the eggs in the incubator are from the yearling. The first one was not fertile from her and the rest seem to be doing ok, granted the egg is a little smaller, but I have a baby now.

I have put in ten eggs (another four yesterday) and two have not been fertile and one died about half way into incubation, so I think I have had pretty good fertility.

I'd be interested in purchasing a few from you early next month (my chicken eggs are due the 28th) because I'm selling my LG & saving up for a Genesis. [​IMG] Anyway--PM me & let me know what you charge. I'm hoping the lady that sent these to me will refund my egg money (if they aren't fertile) because she guranteed they were....​

4. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I had goose eggs and on day 7 I thought it was a loss. However, my instinct told me to let them stay and lone and behold I have gosling's growing in there! The same with my chicken eggs. I would just keep and eye out for little while longer and see what happens.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

One thing to be aware of with shipped eggs: sometimes a fertile egg will be damaged in shipping right at the point where development would have started, but does not. It may seem that it was never fertilized, but that may not be true. A second issue is that eggs can be skipped on the "fertility conveyor belt". I have had one in my very own bator with one hen, sandwiched in between others laid that are growing just fine. These were not even shipped, so one was skipped in the fertilization process. I can't tell when I ship an egg if it's fertile, obviously, but if I begin having an issue with one hen's eggs not developing, and I know that it's happening, I can begin to try to figure out why. Not much I can do to foresee it, though, and I know you understand that. I know there have been unscrupulous people selling hatching eggs that they knew were not fertile, as in, heck they didn't have a rooster, but that is pretty rare, I'd think.

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Well, I'll leave them in there--I just have never seen any so clear with absolutely nothing in there....[​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    As stated by Cyn, shipping can play a number on fertile eggs... I've received hatching eggs from sellers that I know personally would only sell me fertile eggs and have zero development...

Cracking open clear hatching eggs after incubating for 7 days and not seeing anything doesn't mean a durn thing to me anyway, they could have been scrambled in shipping.....been there, done that... [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:I didn't crack them ope, I candled them....

I'm going to just wait a few more days....

Oh & heard this nasty rumor that our feed store just got in like 100 chicks....[​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I candled my goose eggs at Day 7. Only 2 had signs of veins. I thought the 3rd was a loss. On day 10 is had veins. All 3 developed into goslings.

Don't give up too soon. Leave them in at least 10 days to be sure. You could just have a late starter.

10. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Do not candle goose eggs till day 10-14. I didnt see veins in mine till day 10. I sure hope you have some growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by