infertile eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigbum1984, Feb 25, 2013.

1. bigbum1984

bigbum1984 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    I am currently incubating 18 eggs, I am on day 11 of incubation and am pretty sure 7 are infertile, when should I remove these? When I've candled them I can't see any growth only a slightly darker circle that I'm positive is the yolk.

Please help, this is my first try at hatching chicks!!!!!

2. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    At day 11, If they dont look like this or better then toss them.
    [​IMG]
    That's a picture of day 5.
    Even without a good light source at day 11 you should be able to see something resembling growth.

If it looks like this still, then its time for the eggs to move out. Dud eggs dont do anything good hanging around the bator (that I know of).
    [​IMG]
    Most people toss at day 5 to 8, I think 11 is way more than enough to ensure a dud egg.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  3. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    thank you, might hang on to a couple cos there is slight veining but will throw others away. They all went into the incubator at the same time, will they develop at different rates or should they all be the same?

4. Chambertin

Chambertin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2012
    Funabashi Japan
    My Coop
    The rates should be very similar. This time my two are practical clones of each other and that’s what I would expect based on what I learned and heard from others. As with everything in nature there is a good variance, but like snow you dont get specks and golf balls on the same day usually. If you do that’s one hell of a storm.
    Try out the ones where you can see something, but some eggs stop at the darndest times.

With a low power light the veins in the middle might not show up well, so its also good to give them a chance. Again, I don’t know for sure, but when my batteries get low I don’t see much from the egg, even a textbook quality development one.

Development from nothing to something should be somewhat fast, the time between those two photos is just under two days.

Good luck and I'm glad I could help.

5. bigbum1984

Feb 18, 2013
    Kent, England
    thank you, just cracked 6 and they weren't fertile so scrambled them and gave to my chickens! they loved them, thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by