1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Infertile Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bloomnbeauty, Jan 28, 2009.

1. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    My question.. Can a serious illness make a rooster infertile? I have a Brown Leghorn that was very ill with a respiratory problem when he was just a few weeks old. I now have him with two hens that were ill at the same time. Could he be infertile? I have tried numerous times to hatch their eggs and all remain clear.

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    Yes. That could have affected his fertility. Are the hens the same breed? How old is the rooster?

3. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    High fever will sometimes make a rooster sterile.

4. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    The hens are the same breed. Out of the same brood. They are about 10 months old now. Hens started laying two months ago. I have seen him doing his job but the eggs aren't fertile. He was so ill we almost lost him. I didn't know that chickens could have fevers. Is there a way to tell for future reference?

5. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    It may be from the sickness but he could also be slow to mature. Give him a little time and try again. I had a rooster once that wasnt fertilizing until a year old. Either way, only time will tell.

6. avril

avril New Egg

Mar 14, 2008
    There's also the possibility that he is not hitting the mark when doing to deed. Make sure the feathers around the hens vent are not getting in the way. you can clip the vent feathers but not down too far .

7. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    to check for fever..feel the comb and under the wings, and legs..
    just like any animal..they will feel hot and act sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by